Telling a Story: Acts 22:6-16

 Fourth Sunday after Epiphany

“As I was on my way and drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone around me. And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ And I answered, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ And he said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.’ Now those who were with me saw the light but did not understand the voice of the one who was speaking to me. 10 And I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Rise, and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all that is appointed for you to do.’ 11 And since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, I was led by the hand by those who were with me, and came into Damascus.

12 “And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, well spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, 13 came to me, and standing by me said to me, ‘Brother Saul, receive your sight.’ And at that very hour I received my sight and saw him. 14 And he said, ‘The God of our fathers appointed you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear a voice from his mouth; 15 for you will be a witness for him to everyone of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’” (ESV)

 

          I have two last names.  For reasons that are best known to them, my parents decided when I was born that I needed to have both of their names and that there should not be a hyphen between them, which means I have an intimate knowledge of the limitations of government forms and official identification options.  Since using both was often discouraged—and was no small feat when I was first learning how to write—I experimented with which one made more sense to me as an identifier as I was growing up.  Clearly I've landed on Waggy, now, but when I was younger I would go back and forth if I could; sometimes it depended on whether I wanted to fit it or stand out, and sometimes on whether I wanted to make sure that people knew I did not fit into one box.

          My fourth-grade teacher was a woman named Mrs. Bright, a condescending human who ruled her classroom like a tiny dictatorship.  There is a deep dislike between us that will last until the universe collapses.  It may seem odd for a nine-year-old to have an archenemy, but I did; it was a mutual antagonism.  She was not impressed with me, and I did not have much respect for her.  I spent much of fourth grade in the principal’s office for one thing or another because riling her was far more important to me than mastering long-form division. 

Even pastors are humans, remember that.

In Mrs. Bright’s classroom of oppressive order, she always had us line up in alphabetical order if we were to leave the classroom to go to some other event like music or lunch.  I quickly learned that I could either be at the end of the line—Waggy—or toward the front—Duymovic—and that Mrs. Bright could not tell me I was wrong.  They were and are both my name, and she couldn’t tell me not to go by my name.

She could send me to the principal’s office, and did, but it was a fascinating lesson to me—how to be petty with adults, sure, but also that identity changes depending on what you’re doing with it and why.  The story of who I was to other people could shift.

As we continue through the book of Acts, we come to Paul’s narrative of his own conversion.  It may seem like you’ve heard this one before, and should have—after all, we’re nearing the end of the book and we’ve been with Paul a while; surely we’ve heard how he stopped being a Pharisee and started being a Christian.  And we have:  in Acts 9, the narrator Luke tells a third-person overview of Paul’s encounter with God.  The story in chapter nine is the one we usually encounter in Sunday school or sermon-writing because it’s good storytelling.  We get the lead-in of the persecutor Saul who hunts down the followers of the Way; we get the suspense of those who were travelling with Saul and didn’t see the light that knocked Saul off his horse; we get the interaction with Ananias and God when Ananias says I don’t think I can do this and God says you absolutely can and I will be with you.

Here in chapter 22, we don’t get all those side characters.  We get a first-person account of Saul’s transformation into Paul with all the limitations of the first-person point of view.  The encounter is remarkably similar to the one told in chapter nine, but then it should be—both were written by Luke.

Paul, actual Paul, does mention his own conversion in some of his letters, but he never gives the kind of narrative flair that Luke does in Acts—he doesn’t need to.[1]  Paul isn’t interested in storytelling, he’s interested in helping these fledgling churches sort out their own interpersonal and spiritual issues.  But Luke is building the foundations of the Church’s history and he needs people to know that Paul, the great convert from violence, got it.

The audience in front of which he got it, however, changes; the context for chapter nine is different than the context for chapter 22, and like my understanding that my names could do different things for me in different times and places, Luke’s description of Paul’s emphases changes ever-so-slightly to fit the needs of the moment.  This first-person account comes after Paul has tangled with Roman and Jewish authorities yet again and is trying to explain himself.  A few verses before today’s section, we learn that Paul is speaking in the “Hebrew language,” he-BRY-dee dee-a-LEC-toe,[2] which means he’s not explaining himself to the Romans here.  In Aramaic, Paul rattles off a list of why he is part of the Jewish community, why his credentials matter enough that they should believe him when he tells this story of a light and blindness and a God Who said, “Stop persecuting Me.”

Luke’s Paul is a very smart fellow, really; who he is doesn’t change, but how he identifies himself does—and this is a familiar reality to all of us.  We are not exactly the same person with our in-laws as we are with our best friends; we are not the same in the workplace as we are at the grocery store.  This isn’t lying, or falsifying our identity; it is recognizing that we are multi-faceted people and that not all facets are equally helpful in all situations.

It is also recognizing that shifting gears, shifting pieces of the story of ourselves that we feel comfortable telling, can allow us to belong to one community or not belong to another.  After Paul tells this story of conversion, it doesn’t go over terrifically well; the audience rejects his invitation for they themselves to convert.  Savvy as ever, Paul switches to the Roman guard and speaks of his Roman citizenship, now claiming the reality that he is part of the Roman community and explaining why his credentials matter such that they shouldn’t imprison or thrash him.

Far more than my small act of defiance by using both of my names to complicate my teacher’s life, Paul is using whole other parts of his cultural and linguistic identity when moving between his conversion narrative here and his plea for his life later on.  It’s a form of communicative adjustment called “code switching,” something that’s been getting a lot more attention in scholarship and general parlance these days because folks have realized that minorities have to do it a lot.  The linguistic and cultural markers of, say, an African American aren’t necessarily the same as the markers of a white person even if they come from the same geographical area, and since “white” is the majority in America it means the African American has to learn both her markers and that of white people and be able to switch back and forth as needed.[3]  Paul, who was a minority as a Jew in the Roman Empire, had to learn both his own Jewish culture and Aramaic and the culture of the Empire and the Greek language.  He had to be able to tell different parts of his story to the different kinds of people who would listen.

White folk rarely have to do the kind of wholesale code switching that those moving in and out of white spaces do, but we are all doing some kind of dance to belong at any given point.  Paul knew that he was telling his story to a specific group and tailored it appropriately.  Joel B. Green writes, “Even [Paul’s] report of his commission on the road to Damascus is saturated with demonstrations of Jewish faithfulness.  He refers repeatedly to ‘the Lord,’ mentioning the name ‘Jesus’ only because this was the name given to him in his vision.  Ananias is presented not as a Christian but with transparent credentials as a devout Jew.  Although Luke’s readers know that the ‘him’ and ‘his’ to whom Paul refers is Jesus, Paul himself never makes this clear.”[4]

If I am giving a sermon here at St. Luke’s to this congregation, I’m not going to saturate it with references to inside jokes from my college days.  That’s the wrong way to reach you, the wrong language to use to communicate that I belong in this community, that my story or my sermon should matter to you.  But a sermon is not a conversion story and some of us may be uncomfortable telling that kind of story differently—after all, it happened a certain way, right?  Yes, but the things we highlight help our listeners be able to hook into why this is important in the first place.

“What shall I do, Lord?”  Paul’s question after figuring out Who was speaking to him indicates that he understands this is not merely God making a point but God inviting him into something else, and Paul who is trying to invite those listening to him knows the power of a good story to draw you in.  Paul can’t create a bright light that blinds his listeners and pulls them in via miracle, but he can say I am one of you, I see and uphold your faithfulness, I’m not selling you something that is useless.  His evangelism starts in similarity of relationship.

The concept of Christian evangelism is a sore spot for many these days because it often conjures images of pushy Bible salesmen and people who hand you small New Testaments because you’re going to Hell.  But what Paul teaches us about evangelism, good and helpful evangelism, is that the story cannot be told from a place of other-ness.  It is of no help to anyone to walk up to someone who is not of the faith and say, “You don’t know as much as I do about this truth, you should believe it or death will be terrible and the afterlife full of condemnation.”  Fear is a tenuous and sorrowful way to begin a life of faith and it paints a God Who is always one step away from kicking you back out.

But a relationship?  “You don’t know what I do about this truth but you and I share all these cultural markers, we went to the same school or love the same band, here’s a thing that has been so important to me and I would be delighted to talk about it with you and see whether it might become important to you, too.”  There is honor of the other person’s experience there; there is value in the shared connection; there is the use of who we actually are in the world, we who have lives of faith rather than just faith in our lives.

And then, sometimes, it doesn’t work.  Sometimes we tell the story and, like Paul, find our audience less than receptive and we need to walk away.  Okay.  Hopefully, if you ever find yourself having a conversation about the faith you hold, it doesn’t end in folks trying to imprison you or flay you with a whip, but even when it is people simply saying don’t talk to me about this, that’s fine.  Paul walks away from the situation and moves on to the next thing because it is not our job to save the world.

Let me say that again because it’s kind of important:  no matter what stories we tell of ourselves or how we tell that story; no matter whether we are timid or bold in sharing the faith we hold; no matter how many times we say that Jesus called my name and I answered, Christians are not the ones saving other people.  Salvation is God’s job.  The work of the soul is the work of the Spirit.  The ways in which people do or do not have faith, do or do not believe in Jesus the Christ as savior, sanctifier, redeemer, and coming King, do or do not believe in whatever doctrine of the Christian faith are not ours to mandate. 

We Christians are the storytellers.  We are the seed planters, the wandering preachers, the invitational presences, the willing friends.  We are not, have never been, and absolutely cannot be the caretakers of others’ spirits.  I find this delightfully reassuring because I often have enough on my hands trying to manage my own spirit; I don’t have it in me to take that on for others.

Do you hear the difference, Church?  When Paul speaks in Aramaic of a God Who called to him to go to Damascus and meet a man who should have feared him but instead helped him to be baptized and begin a whole new journey of faith, he is not manipulating his audience into the soul quota he needs to hit for the day.  He is telling a story, his story, of how his whole life changed and it mattered, it mattered that God knew his name and called him to be a witness to everyone.

How do you tell your story?  How do you align yourself with the various groups you’re in, recognizing the ways you belong, using the relationships you have not to maneuver but to connect?  Saul isn’t the only one called into a different kind of life than he had planned, into a relationship he didn’t see coming.  “And now, why do you wait?”

May God grant us the cunning to see the ways we can tell our stories that honor the teller and the hearer; may the Spirit open our hearts to listen for Her words at the best times; and may the Christ walk beside us with the strength and wisdom to be people of faith in a hurting world.  Amen.



[1] It’s in Galatians 1, 1 Cor. 15, and 2 Cor. 12.

[2] Ἑβραΐδι διαλέκτῳ

[4] Green, “Acts,” in The New Interpreter’s Bible One Volume Commentary, 761.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Year for Sure: Isaiah 64:1-9

Reconnecting the Grace-full Body: Orchestral Tuning (1 Cor. 12:12-31)

An Everlasting Dominion: Daniel 7:9-14