Isaiah 58:1-12

 Ash Wednesday

            Shout out, do not hold back!  Lift up your voice like a trumpet!

Today is Ash Wednesday, a day of remembering mortality, of talking about sins and penitence.  It is a gray day when the snow keeps coming and there are so many uncertainties about Ukraine and my voice is just not loud enough when the newscasters never stop talking.

Announce to my people their rebellion, to the house of Jacob their sins.

This feels more like church—more like what we’ve made church into, at least.  We come to services to feel the ash drift down onto our eyebrows and be reminded that we are broken, we mortals who keep trying so hard, we humans who want to be loved.

Yet day after day they seek me and delight to know my ways, as if they were a nation that practiced righteousness and did not forsake the ordinance of their God;

 

What if we were a nation that practiced righteousness?  What a slap in the face must it have been to Israel, returning with uncertain steps without the ones who died in exile, who never returned from Babylon.  What a harsh thing for Isaiah to say, as if this was a nation of righteousness.

they ask of me righteous judgments, they delight to draw near to God.

How long has it been since you delighted in drawing near to God?  Was it this morning?  Was it five years ago? 

“Why do we fast, but you do not see? Why humble ourselves, but you do not notice?”

 

There are so many hashtags and helping foundations for the people of Ukraine.  There are so many prayers for the people with COVID.  There are so many moments of pain—help with a grandson in the NICU, God; help with a cancer that isn’t going away, God; help with a family that does not love, God.  Do You notice?  Do You see?

Look, you serve your own interest on your fast day, and oppress all your workers.  Look, you fast only to quarrel and to fight and to strike with a wicked fist.  Such fasting as you do today will not make your voice heard on high.

 

It is so easy, in the life of faith, to make everything our own fault—because then we can control it.  The cancer doesn’t leave because I haven’t prayed enough and should pray more; the grandson doesn’t get better because I didn’t go get ashes on Wednesday morning and so must go to the evening service; Ukraine needs my social media post of support, my profile picture frame, my demonstration to God or the world or myself that I am not the one oppressing workers or fighting with others.  If I caused it, I can make it stop.  Right?

Is such the fast that I choose, a day to humble oneself?  Is it to bow down the head like a bulrush, and to lie in sackcloth and ashes?  Will you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the Lord?

 

We must give up something for Lent, my Catholic grandmother told me when I was a child.  I never knew why; I never knew that it was a tradition hundreds of years old, that it was a practical way to make the winter food storage last until the spring, that it is a recalling of the early Christians who prepared themselves for forty days to be ready for the absolute transformation of baptism back when adults were baptized in stone tubs like graves that symbolized dying to the world.  We must give up something, and I tried to give up soda or swearing and failed, covering myself in sackcloth and ashes because I had failed my grandmother instead of God and hadn’t yet realized that it can be easy to conflate the two if we’re not careful.  It was not a fast but a fault, those days, unacceptable to the Lord because I was only ever offering my social standing and never my heart.

Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?  Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover them, and not to hide yourself from your own kin?

 

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory,” writes Matthew, and our Apostles’ Creed responds, “He will judge the living and the dead.”  “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.”[1]

Is this the fast that I choose—to live into faith not like I can control it with just the right amount of prayer or fasting, not with the ashes on my forehead coming out in a perfect cross ready for Instagram, not with giving up something for Lent that I really was trying to get out of my life, anyway, but to live into faith like it utterly rearranged my soul?  Is this the fast I choose, to give up myself for Lent as a holy sacrifice to the God Who made me?  Is this the fast I choose, to keep my mouth free of hatred and disdain, to keep my hands full of the love that is as sharp as nail piercings and as beautifully strong as my name written in the book of life?  Is this the fast I choose: to repent of all the ways I turned away from the building of the Kingdom where there is neither grief nor loss and turn instead to the work of re-creating a world filled with dust that dances in the sunlight?

Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly; your vindicator shall go before you, the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry for help, and he will say, Here I am.  If you remove the yoke from among you, the pointing of the finger, the speaking of evil, 10 if you offer your food to the hungry and satisfy the needs of the afflicted, then your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noonday.  11 The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your needs in parched places, and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters never fail.

 

Ah, here, here, we have the formula—if we do this, all will be well.  If we help this many people, if we break the yoke of this injustice, if we solve this problem, God will speak to us; God will be present with us; God will love us.

It is as tempting to think that our works of justice will fix things as it is to think our works of piety will.  We planners, we budgeters, we analysts who want the answer, the direction, the guidelines enter Lent like an Excel spreadsheet with this amount of work to get this amount of divine response—and we will not get it.  The formula does not work.  Lent is a mirror of Noah’s forty days at sea while the world was remade and the grief of death and hope of life walked two-by-two on the ark’s rain-slick decks.  Lent is a reflection of Jesus’ forty days in the wilderness where the sand and the sun ground Him into a diamond-hard soul that could stand up to temptation and proclaim that the Holy is the core of all things and all needs.  Lent is an invitation for forty days to examine our own lives and see the fingerprints of God in the dust on our palms, drawing over and over again the symbols of life and life abundant.

God will be present and we will share our bread with the hungry; God will guide us continually and our light shall rise in the darkness; God will offer us living water such that we will never be thirsty again and from that we shall be like watered gardens, verdant and beautiful.  We do not earn God; God loves us in such a way that we are transformed into the actions that delight the heart of the Divine.  We do not wear the ash on our foreheads or our hands to bend under the heaviness of our own mortality; we wear it as a reminder that we have a finite life and God invites us to live it to the fullest, to treasure the fleeting wonder of breathing in the sharp cold after snow and the sweet scent of someone we love. 

12 Your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to live in.

 

Is this the fast you choose, beloved—to accept that you are not who you used to be?  For you are mortal, and beautiful, and wounded, and whole.  Will you be the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets, the child of God who comes back from Babylon and hears the call to be grounded in the community that surrounds you?

May it be so.  Amen.



[1] Matthew 25:35–36, NRSV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next Year for Sure: Isaiah 64:1-9

Reconnecting the Grace-full Body: Orchestral Tuning (1 Cor. 12:12-31)

An Everlasting Dominion: Daniel 7:9-14